The days are getting hotter and Summer is upon us...Now is the time to remember how to stay safe in the Sun while having Fun.
There are several ways the Sun can affect your body, some good, some not so good. The Sun will help with Vitamin D that the body needs for healthy bones. It can enhance your mood making you feel better and it can relieve stress.
BUT it can also damage our bodies especially with over exposure and not taking the correct steps to stay safe.
Too much sun can cause heat stroke and heat exhaustion. Keeping hydrated with hep prevent this. It can cause eye damage. Wearing good sunglasses always with help protect your eyes. Most of all over exposure can cause damage to your skin.
Too much sun without the proper protection can result in Sunburn, increased episodes of sunburn can result in Skin Cancer. Exposure to the Sun can also case wrinkles and aging to the skin. Protecting your skin just takes a few steps and these should be taken every time you are in the sun.
Most of us know sunscreen will help prevent damage but there are some tips you need to follow to provide effective sun protection.
* Read the instructions and warning statements on the sunscreen packaging
* A 50+ SPF Sunscreen will give you the best sun protection.
* Always apply 20 minutes prior to going out in the sun. This allows for the sunscreen to bind to the skin.
* Apply generously for best protection. Adults use 1 teaspoon for face, neck and ears. One teaspoon for each arm and leg and another teaspoon for front and back. For children use slightly less.
* Sunscreen must be reapplied every 2 hours, after swimming or after toweling.
* Sunscreen products will not give 100% protection against UV rays. It is best to use other forms of protection such as clothing, hats, sunglasses and sunshade.
* If possible stay out of the sun in the hottest part of the day, between 10am and 2pm
* After exposure to the Sun its a great idea to apply a good moisturiser to keep the skin hydrated and nourished.
* Keep sun lotion in cool place to prevent it overheating and becoming less effective.
When choosing a sun lotion check the ingredients, choose a broad spectrum and water resistant lotion.
My favourite is the Nutrimetics 50+ Sundays lotion. It not only provides great sun protection is does not contain any sunscreen actives that are harmful to marine life.